You should definitely give this recipe a try if you’re looking for some mouthwatering cinnamon-sugar cookies that are soft, chewy, and irresistible. This snickerdoodle recipe boasts crispy edges, chewy centers, and a delectably spiced sugar coating that’s sure to satisfy any sweet tooth. It’s a crowd-pleaser for sure and has become quite popular among my church friends – even my pastor can’t get enough of them! I assure you, you will find them irresistible as well.
Ingredients For snickerdoodle recipe
To prepare the highly-rated Snickerdoodle recipe, you will require the following ingredients:
Sugar: The recipe for Snickerdoodle cookies begins by using 1 ½ cups of granulated sugar.
Butter and shortening: Combining butter and shortening produces a perfect, plush, and tender consistency.
Eggs: Including two large eggs in the recipe not only adds moisture and richness, but it also aids in binding the dough together.
Vanilla: The addition of vanilla extract provides intricacy and amplifies the overall taste.
Flour: The presence of gluten in all-purpose flour provides the necessary structural support to the dough.
Cream of tartar: The majority of Snickerdoodle recipes require cream of tartar, which is responsible for imparting the cookies with their distinct tangy flavor and fluffy, cushiony texture.
Baking soda: Baking soda functions as a leavening agent, assisting in the upward expansion of the cookies during baking.
Salt: Adding a small amount of salt can intensify the taste of the remaining components.
Cinnamon-sugar: The snickerdoodles undergo a process of being rolled in a warm and inviting mixture of cinnamon and sugar before they are placed in the oven to bake.
How to make Snickerdoodle recipe?
Below, you will find the complete and detailed recipe, but for a quick summary of what to expect when you bake these irresistible recipe snickerdoodles, here it is:
Make the dough: Whip together the sugar, butter, shortening, eggs, and vanilla until blended. Blend in a separate bowl, the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt together until well combined. Next, pour the dry mixture into the wet mixture and thoroughly stir until all the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
Roll the dough: Form the dough into balls with a size resembling that of a walnut. In order to ensure an even coating on each ball, roll them in a blend of cinnamon and sugar.
Bake the cookies: After preheating the oven, proceed to bake the cookies until they have set but still retain some softness. Once done, transfer them onto a wire rack to cool.
My Best Tips
- Be sure not to skip the step of thoroughly beating the butter and sugar together, as doing so is crucial for achieving a smooth texture in the cookie dough.
- To ensure the cookies are uniform in size, ensure that each dough ball weighs approximately 40g.
- To ensure that the cookies hold their shape and do not crumble when you transfer them, it’s recommended to allow them to cool on the tray for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack. Giving them enough time to set will lead to a solid texture.
- In case the cookies have risen excessively, you can gently tap the baking tray against a flat surface to release the air and deflate them.
The step-by-step instructions Snickerdoodle recipe can be found in the recipe card below
Questions and Answers about recipe Snickerdoodle
To bake bakery-style jumbo recipe snickerdoodle, use a large cookie scoop or scoop out 2 tablespoons of dough and extend the baking time by a few minutes.
Consider trying a fall-themed variation of these cookies by replacing the cinnamon and cardamom with pumpkin pie spice.
To enhance the toffee taste, replace the chocolate bar with chopped bits of chocolate-covered toffee.
What Do You Serve homemade Snickerdoodle recipe?
You can serve a homemade Snickerdoodle recipe with milk, coffee or tea, ice cream, fruit, cinnamon-spiced whipped cream, or chocolate. The versatility of this item makes it suitable for pairing with a diverse range of foods and beverages.
Have a look at our other cookie recipes, how about PEANUT BUTTER NO-BAKE COOKIES or blueberry muffins
Can You Freeze Snickerdoodle cookie recipe?
Certainly! Both baked and unbaked snickerdoodles cookie recipes can be frozen.
To freeze your baked cookies, place them onto a baking sheet and freeze them for a few hours or overnight until completely frozen.
Subsequently, transfer the frozen cookies to either an airtight container or a zip-top bag. They can be stored in the freezer for a period of one month.
To prepare cookie dough for freezing, first, scoop the dough into balls and place them on a baking sheet. Allow the dough balls to freeze completely for a few hours or overnight, and then transfer them to an airtight container or a zip-top bag. You can keep them in the freezer for up to three months. When you’re ready to bake, use the recipe as usual but allow for additional baking time to compensate for the frozen temperature.
How do you store Snickerdoodle recipes?
To maintain the freshness of your cookies, it’s advisable to store them in a sealed container at room temperature. This will ensure that they remain delicious for a period of 3-4 days.
What makes snickerdoodles crack?
Snickerdoodles crack due to the combination of ingredients in the cookie dough and the way they are baked. During baking, cookie dough expands and then contracts as it cools, leading to the formation of cracks. The use of cream of tartar in the dough, a mild acid, helps to create a slightly acidic environment that causes the cookies to rise and then fall, leading to the signature crackled appearance. The rolling of the dough balls in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar also contributes to the texture of the cookies by creating a slightly crispy and crunchy exterior.
If you like this recipe, please leave a comment and rate this recipe.
I would love to hear from you and really appreciate your comments!
I will always do my best to reply to every comment as soon as possible.
Thanks for following! And have fun cooking!
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter (softened)
- 1 ½ cups Sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 2 ¾ cup Flour
- 1 ½ tsp Cream of Tartar
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- Cinnamon-Sugar Mixture:
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp Cinnamon
- Please preheat theoven by setting it to 350 degrees.
- Take a large mixingbowl and cream the butter and sugar for 4-5 minutes until it becomes light andfluffy. Before adding the eggs and vanilla, make sure to scrape the sides ofthe bowl. Cream for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Stir the flour, creamof tartar, baking soda, and salt until they are evenly combined, taking carenot to overmix.
- Blend in a smallbowl, blend cinnamon and sugar.
- If you have enoughtime, you can refrigerate the dough for 20-30 minutes before shaping it intosmall, round and smooth balls. Next, coat the balls completely with thecinnamon-sugar mixture by dipping them in it. For an extra coating, use a spoonto cover the cookie balls again. If you prefer flatter snickerdoodles, pressdown on the center of each ball before placing them in the oven. This techniqueprevents them from puffing up too much in the middle.
- Place the parchmentpaper-lined baking sheet in position and proceed to bake for a period of 9-11minutes. Allow some time for cooling on the baking sheet before transferringthe baked goods from the pan.
Leave a Reply