With its irresistible blend of fresh yellow squash, savory onions, gooey cheese, and crispy cracker crumbs, the squash casserole recipe is a must-try dish for anyone who loves Southern cuisine. This recipe is a cinch to make, requiring only a handful of basic ingredients, and it’s perfect for everything from casual weeknight dinners to fancy potluck gatherings. So why not add a touch of Southern charm to your next meal with this delicious and comforting casserole?
Ingredients For Squash Casserole Recipe
Yellow squash: The main attraction of this dish is undoubtedly the yellow squash, which provides a mild, faintly sweet taste and a gentle texture to the casserole.
Onion: The dish gains a delightful complexity of flavor with the addition of onions, which also work to harmonize the dish’s sweet and savory elements.
Shredded cheddar cheese: By including cheese in the casserole, a luscious mouthfeel is achieved, and it also serves to unite the ingredients.
Mayonnaise: The addition of mayonnaise to casserole results in a smooth texture and a sour note.
Sour cream: Sour cream infuses the casserole with a piquant taste and a subtle hint of sourness.
Ritz crackers: A delightful, crispy topping for the casserole is made by crumbling crackers and adding butter.
Butter: The cracker topping gains a heightened richness and a burst of flavor when butter is introduced to it.
How to Make Squash Casserole Recipe
Make sure the oven is heated to 350°F before you start baking.
Tenderize the sliced squash and chopped onion by sautéing them over medium heat in a large skillet until they acquire a light brown color.
In a vast mixing bowl, amalgamate the cooked squash and onion with shredded cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, and sour cream.
Combine the constituents completely to achieve a consistent mixture.
Evenly disperse the concoction throughout a baking dish that is 9 inches by 13 inches in size.
In a bowl apart, stir together the melted butter and pulverized Ritz crackers.
Then, spread the cracker mixture over the casserole’s top.
Leave the squash casserole in the oven to cook for roughly 25-30 minutes, or until the top has acquired a delectable golden-brown appearance and the casserole is thoroughly heated.
My Best Tips
- Optimum flavor and texture can be achieved by incorporating freshly harvested squash into your dishes.
- Cook the squash and onions in the skillet until they’re soft and tender, but don’t go overboard, or they’ll become mushy.
- To make a rich and smooth mixture, make certain that the cheese, mayonnaise, and sour cream are blended well.
- Make sure the topping is consistent by grinding the crackers finely.
Recipe squash casserole Variations
Elevate the meatiness of the casserole by including diced ham or pre-cooked bacon as an ingredient.
Introduce a distinctive flavor by using alternative cheese varieties, such as Swiss or pepper jack.
To bring some heat to your dish, try adding sliced jalapeños or hot sauce for a spicy twist.
To lighten up your dish’s topping and give it a satisfying crunch, try opting for panko breadcrumbs instead of Ritz crackers.
The step-by-step instructions for squash casserole recipe can be found in the recipe card below
Questions And Answers About Homemade Squash Casserole
What Do You Serve with Homemade Squash Casserole?
With its versatility, squash casserole is a perfect complement to a variety of sides. Why not try pairing it with succulent grilled pork chops or chicken, roasted vegetables such as asparagus or broccoli, a tangy green salad with a flavorful vinaigrette, creamy corn or black-eyed peas, and some freshly baked garlic bread or dinner rolls?
Have a look at our other recipes, how about Sweet Potato Casserole or Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Can You Freeze Recipe Squash Casserole?
Squash casserole can be stored in the freezer for later consumption. To safeguard the casserole, cover it thoroughly with both plastic wrap and aluminum foil after it has fully cooled. Labeling it with a detailed description of its contents and the date created will help you quickly locate it when needed. Don’t forget to label it!
Keep it in the freezer for up to three months, then defrost it in the refrigerator overnight and bake it at 350°F for 30-40 minutes or until thoroughly warmed to serve.
How Do You Store Squash Casserole Recipe?
If you end up with extra squash casserole, don’t throw it away! Refrigerate it in an airtight container to extend its shelf life. When you’re ready to reheat, pop it in the oven at 350°F for 10-15 minutes, or until it’s piping hot.
Is Casserole Good for Health?
Squash casserole is a delicious and comforting meal, but it’s not the most health-conscious choice due to its high calorie and fat content; Each serving of the casserole typically contains around 400 calories and 30 grams of fat. Despite this, the dish does provide some nutritional value from the squash and onions.
The Calories in the squash casserole recipe:
Dividing this squash casserole into 8 equal servings would provide approximately 400 calories per serving, giving a total calorie count of 3200 for the entire recipe.
If you like this recipe, please leave a comment and rate this recipe.
I would love to hear from you and really appreciate your comments!
I will always do my best to reply to every comment as soon as possible.
Thanks for following! And have fun cooking!
Best ever squash casserole
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 pounds yellowsquash, sliced
- Salt and blackpepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup crushed buttercrackers
- 1 cup shreddedcheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Prior to starting the cooking process, make sure to preheatyour oven to 350°F.
- Boil salted water in a large pot, then introduce the slicedsquash and chopped onion.
- Heat the dish for 5-7 minutes or until it has been cooked tothe preferred consistency.
- Allow the cooked vegetables to dry out completely bydraining them thoroughly.
- A large mixing bowl is where you should combine cookedsquash and onion, shredded cheddar cheese, and mayonnaise to make a deliciousmixture.
- Fuse the ingredients until they are properly assimilated andadd salt and black pepper to your desired level.
- Pour the blend into a baking dish and cover with crushedbuttery crackers.
- Finally, give it a touch of melted butter by pouring it overthe surface.
- Cook the casserole in the preheated oven until it turnsbubbly and acquires a golden-brown hue, usually requiring 25-30 minutes.
- Consume while it's hot and relish every bite!
Leave a Reply